Woman accuses NRI husband of using 'fake' documents to divorce her | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Woman accuses NRI husband of using 'fake' documents to divorce her

punjab Updated: Jan 28, 2013 00:02 IST
Tarsem Singh Deogan
Tarsem Singh Deogan
Hindustan Times

A woman resident of a Jagraon village has submitted an application to Ludhiana police commissioner Ishwar Singh to seek strict action against her NRI husband, who allegedly not only betrayed her but also divorced her on the basis of "fake' documents.

Unaware about the divorce proceedings, the woman was shocked when her relatives settled in Canada told her about the development.

According to Charanjit Kaur of Kaunke Kalan village, she had neither divorced her husband nor received any court notice in this context. When she probed at her own level, she reportedly came to know that one Sukhvir Singh of Chet Singh Nagar of Ludhiana had filed an affidavit on her behalf, about which she did not know anything.

Charanjit had already filed a case of dowry harassment against her husband Jasdip Singh Sekhon and other in-laws at Jagraon Sadar police station on June 2010. The court had declared him Proclaimed Offender in the case.

Charanjit said she married Sekhon on March 2007. It was second marriage of Sekhon, who had divorced his first wife. He allegedly stayed with Charanjit for a month after marriage and went to Canada with the promise that he would take her abroad as well, but did not keep his word.

She alleged that Sekhon and his family began demanding dowry from her. She later filed dowry harassment case against them, which was pending in court.

"All of a sudden, my in-laws began claiming that they had no relations with me as Jasdip had divorced me. When I probed, I came to know that he used forged documents to secure divorce," the woman rued.

"I don't know how Sukhvir Singh produced an affidavit on my behalf in court. The accused also pasted my picture on the affidavit. I have filed a complaint with police commissioner Ishwar Singh and will pursue the case in Canada also through my relatives," she added.

Police commissioner Ishwar Singh has since marked the application of Charanjit Kaur to ADCP (city-1) Nilambari Jagdale for inquiry.