Woman delivers child without medical supervision at GNDH | punjab$amritsar | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Woman delivers child without medical supervision at GNDH

punjab Updated: Jul 19, 2016 15:34 IST
Divya Sharma
Divya Sharma
Hindustan Times
Woman delivers child

Sandeep Kaur along with her newborn outside Bebe Nanki Mother and Child Care Centre in Amritsar. (Sameer Sehgal/HT Photo)

Getting impatient over the delay on part of the doctors, a 22-year-old woman delivered her baby with the help of her mother, after rushing out of the labour room of Bebe Nanki Mother and Child Care Centre at Guru Nanak Dev Hospital here in the wee hours of Monday.

It was after the delivery on the hospital premises that the staff came forward to provide medication to the woman, Sandeep Kaur. They also tried to convince her to get admitted to the ward, but the woman refused, saying she did not trust the hospital authorities and could not put the life of her baby girl in danger.

Sandeep’s mother, Swarn Kaur, a resident of Rajatal village near Attari, said: “After Sandeep experienced labour pains around midnight, we took her to the Amritsar civil hospital. The hospital refused to take up her case, citing low blood count, and referred her to Guru Nanak Dev Hospital. On reaching here, Sandeep was taken to the labour room, where she was examined, but was kept waiting in state of severe pain.”

Sandeep’s sister Jaswant Kaur said they were told Sandeep would need two bottles of blood to address her low blood count, and the family members would have to donate blood in return. “Apart from this, we were also told to buy medicines, after which the operation would take place. We are not educated and financially sound. We panicked on hearing these instructions, and a traumatised Sandeep ran out of the ward to save her child.”

It was during this chaos that Sandeep delivered the baby in absence of medical supervision on the hospital premises.

Authorities to conduct probe

Following the delivery, Sandeep and her family accused the hospital authorities of negligence. People gathered outside the centre, where the woman was lying with her child. Medical superintendent Dr Ram Sarup Sharma reached there to pacify them.

“The doctors did check the woman and told her to sit in the room, but she and her family left. After the doctors came to know that she had delivered the baby, they immediately reached there to cut the umbilical cord,” said Dr Sharma, while claiming to conduct an inquiry into the incident.