Youth Congress leader accuses police of inaction | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Youth Congress leader accuses police of inaction

punjab Updated: Feb 26, 2013 00:14 IST
Tarsem Singh Deogan
Tarsem Singh Deogan
Hindustan Times
Youth Congress

Over two weeks after 10 persons allegedly attacked Congress leader Makhan Singh, his two sons and two nephews, the victims claim the police are yet to act in the case.

Makhan's son Gurjit Singh, a resident of Atam Nagar, alleged that though they had taken the police to the houses of some of the accused, the police were reluctant to take any action against them.

Gurjit, who is also vice-president, Atam Nagar Block of Youth Congress, alleged that the police took four days just to register the case and ignored facts during registration of the FIR.

The police had registered a case under Sections 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 341 (wrongful restraint), 379 (theft), 506 (criminal intimidation), 148 (rioting, armed with deadly weapon), 149 (part of unlawful assembly) and 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC against 10 accused.

The accused included Bawa, Billa and Sapp of Rupnagar village, Pandit and six other unidentified persons.

Gurjit alleged that the police ignored the fact that it was a murderous attack and did not include Section 307 (attempt to murder) in the FIR.

He alleged that it was a planned attack, and from police to civil hospital authorities, everybody was hand in glove with the accused.

Claiming that the civil hospital doctors did not attend to them properly after the attack, he said the doctors even overlooked the extent of their injuries while filing the injury reports. Therefore, they had to go to SPS Apollo Hospital for treatment, he added.

The 30-year-old said the accused had attacked his cousins in February 2011, when they had tried to stop them from eve teasing, adding that he was the main witness in the case, which was already in court

He said the accused were threatening him to not record his testimony in the court and withdraw the case. However, as he and his kin refused to do so, the accused tried to kill them.

Giving details about the attack on February 9, Gurjit alleged the accused intercepted his cousin, Ravinder Singh (38), and attacked him with sharp-edged weapons. He, along with his brother, Harjit Singh (32), rushed towards the spot on hearing Ravinder's screams.

Meanwhile, the accused appeared there in two SUVs and attacked them with an intention to kill them, and fled after threatening them to withdraw the complaint filed against them in 2011, he alleged.

Meanwhile, sub-inspector Paramjit Singh, incharge, Atam Nagar police post, refuted the allegations levelled by Gurjit. He said the police were already working on arresting the accused.

On February 10, Youth Congress workers had staged a protest outside the office of assistant commissioner of police (ACP) (west) Gurpreet Kaur Purewal accusing police of inaction in the case.