Youth followed by police dies, relatives alleges death due to beating | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 30, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Youth followed by police dies, relatives alleges death due to beating

punjab Updated: Jul 10, 2013 16:07 IST
HT Correspondent

The family members of 24-year old Mandeep Singh alias Ghorha today blocked traffic outside local civil hospital demanding action against head-constable and constable of Kapurthala police who had beaten Mandeep Singh to death today morning.

A case was registered against Mandeep Singh, a resident of nearby village Chuharwal, by city police in 2010 under section 323 and 324 of Indian Penal Code. Reportedly, he was not appearing in the court in different hearings and proceedings to declare him as proclaimed offender was initiated by the court.

Head constable Karamjeet Singh and constable Mangal Singh were assigned the duty to serve the summons for his appearance in the court scheduled for Thursday.

“At around 8.00am, when my son was having tea along with me, police knocked the door. Getting scared, he (Mandeep) tried to flee from the spot by scaling the walls. Both the policemen followed him and in the nearby fields, they had beaten him mercilessly with sticks which led to his death on the spot,” Raj Rani, the mother of deceased revealed while talking to HT.

“They did not even bother to inform us about the death. They came and instructed us to ensure his appearance in court. It was the school children who noticed that my son was lying unconscious in the fields,” she added.

Mandeep was taken to civil hospital where he was declared dead. Demanding action against the police men, kin of deceased sat on dharna and raised slogans against the government outside the civil hospital around 10.30am which went for nearly two hours.

Heavy police force was deployed to avoid any untoward incident and the dharna was lifted on the assurance of action given by Deputy Superintendent of Police, Paramjeet Singh.

“Prima-facie it appears that the deceased die because of smell of pesticides sprayed in the fields. A medical board would perform the post mortem and after outcome of report, necessary action would be taken against the police men, if required,” he said.