We stalk model-turned-chef Sarah Todd’s Instagram feed and ask her to take us behind-the-scenes. Turns out she is gearing up to launch a restaurant in Goa.
Over 23.7k people follow Sarah Todd on Instagram (@Sarahtodd ), and the MasterChef Australia contestant says she is quite mindful of what she puts “out there”. While most of her posts document her passion for food, they also give us a peek into her love for all things Indian. When she was in town recently, we asked her to pick some memorable Instagram moments:
*A coffee tasting session at her upcoming property on Goa’s Vagator beach. Slated to open on October 17, the 250-seater restaurant will feature modern Australian fare with an Asian twist. “Australians have this great tradition of hosting barbecues on Christmas or birthdays, so I plan to have a charcoal grill as well,” she adds.
* Todd loves dumplings. “Chinese is the most popular cuisine in Australia after local fare. Four of us MasterChef contestants met up at Charlie Dumpling, a really nice Asian eatery in Melbourne, for lunch recently,” she says.
* She was invited by Dilmah, the tea brand from Sri Lanka, to visit its tea gardens. "Dilmah is actually the combination of names of Fernando’s (owner Merrill Fernando) sons, Dilhan and Malik. I had a great time with his family and I was dancing around with Dilhan’s 10-year-old daughter at the estate. I did trails around the estate and observed the tedious tea-making process," recounts Todd.
* “My mother is the reason for my strength. She is a superwoman. She is a single parent and she raised the three of us (my brothers and me) all by herself. She is supportive of everything I do,” says Todd, who is excited about spending a few weeks with her mother in Goa, when she visits the property next month. “We’ll just relax. I plan to cook a lot of food for her."
* "I love going for long walks in Melbourne. My girlfriends and I make it a point to meet up twice or thrice a week and walk for an hour at least," says Todd, who also practices yoga to stay fit.
* Phillip Island is known for its storied Grand Prix Circuit. Todd, who loves racing, can be seen goofing around with fellow MasterChef contestant Alice Zaslavsky. “I think, this too, is the brothers thing. I am very competitive. Needless to say, I won,” she smiles.
(The writer tweets as @CultureCola )