Ben Williams sacrificed his salary as a teacher for six months so he could prepare for the World Cup. On Sunday, it paid off.
Williams became the first Australian referee to control a second-round match at a World Cup during the game between Costa Rica and Greece.
So the match provided a first for three countries - Costa Rica and Greece had never previously qualified for the knockout stages at the sport's marquee tournament.
Williams' debut will also be remembered because he handed out a shocking eight yellow cards including a second yellow/red card to Costa Rican defender Oscar Duarte. His day was capped off when he finally sent of the Greece Coach Fernando Santos after extra time.
1. 36' - A Samaris, Yellow Card (Costa Rica)
2. 42' O Duarte, Yellow Card (Costa Rica)
3. 48' Y Tejeda, Yellow Card (Costa Rica)
4. 55' O Granados, Yellow Card (Costa Rica)
5. 67' - O Duarte, Second Yellow/Red Card
6. 70' - B Ruiz, Yellow Card (Costa Rica)
7. 73' - C Manolas, Yellow Card (Greece)
8. 90' - K Navas, Yellow Card (Costa Rica)
9. 120' - Ferenando Santos, Sent Off (Greece Coach)