Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,26 Dec 2014

Football

Brandao rape charge dropped for lack of evidence
AFP
Marseille, September 28, 2012
First Published: 16:27 IST(28/9/2012)
Last Updated: 16:28 IST(28/9/2012)

Brazilian footballer Brandao has had rape charges against him dismissed for lack of evidence, his lawyer told AFP.

Brandao, currently playing for French side St Etienne, was accused of rape by a young woman who claimed that he attacked her in his car after offering to drive her home from a nightclub in Aix-en-Provence, near Marseille, in March 2011.

But lawyer Christopher Bass said Friday that the examining magistrate had dismissed the charges following "inconsistencies and contradictions" in the plaintiff's case.

The accuser now has 10 days in which to appeal the magistrate's ruling. Her lawyer Emmanuel Molina said a decision on whether to appeal would be taken after examining the reasons behind the ruling.

The alleged incident occurred when Brandao was playing for Marseille, whom he joined from Shakhtar Donetsk in January 2009. He was later loaned to Brazilian clubs Cruzeiro and Gremio in a bid to avoid media scrutiny.

The striker returned to Marseille in January this year but last month signed a two-year deal with Ligue 1 rivals St Etienne.


Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved