The attacks in Mumbai on November 26 left a wound on everybody’s memory.
And, as Hindustan Times had reported a day after the attacks, seven players from JCT’s I-league team experienced the horror first-hand, when the attacks first took place near Café Leopold. Daljit Singh,
Jaspal Singh, Shivraj Singh, Baldeep Singh Junior, Balraj Singh, Balwant Singh and Jagpreet Singh were walking down Colaba Causeway after dinner when they heard gunshots.
But to their fortune they managed to enter a showroom nearby and seek shelter.
Defender Daljit Singh, the eldest member of the group, had told HT a year earlier that it was quite a shattering experience. “We were caught unawares and did not know what to do. Since two of
our players had entered the shop, the rest also rushed in,” he said.
“The blasts and the gunshots were ear-shattering. But since the shutters of the shop were down, it gave us some relief.”
The defender said that after things settled down after almost an hour, they came out and boarded a bus to return to their hotel. “Once the shoot-out stopped, we came out and took a BEST bus to reach our hotel. But the bus halted a distance from the hotel. With the help of some locals, we managed to walk to the safety of our hotel rooms.”
JCT coach Sukhwinder Singh said that when he heard about the terror attacks he started to get in touch with the players. “This crazy acts are now part of life,” he said. “I was concerned about the safety of my players and began find about their wherabouts.”
Shaken up by the experience in Mumbai, the JCT players were only too happy to leave the scars behind.