Advertisement

HindustanTimes Tue,16 Sep 2014

Other Sport

Gatlin backs Gay, Powell
Agencies
Monte Carlo, July 20, 2013
First Published: 01:01 IST(20/7/2013)
Last Updated: 01:03 IST(20/7/2013)

Justin Gatlin, the 2004 Olympic 100m champion who went on to serve a four-year doping ban, wished Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell “all the best in stressful times” in the wake of their failed drugs tests.

Positive tests for Gay and Powell, the second and fourth fastest ever sprinters over 100m, were revealed last week, shocking the world of track and field just ahead of next month’s world championships in Moscow.

But Gatlin, who claimed 100m gold at the Athens Games but then fell foul of drugs and served a four-year ban, coming back in late 2010, was quick not to rush to conclusions.

“What’s going on with them hasn’t even reached the court system,” he said. “I just wish the best for them, it’s a stressful time, not only for them but the sport in general.”

No Semenya?

Cape Town: Former world 800 metre champion Caster Semenya is likely to miss next month’s world championships in Moscow after being left off South Africa’s provisional list of 30 athletes released on Friday.

Semenya, who won the world title in 2009 and ran second two years later, before grabbing the silver medal at the London Olympics, clocked a slow time (2:06.58) in her first competitive race in over a year on Wednesday. Semenya would need to run 2:00.00 or quicker by July 29 to qualify for the championships.

Doping probe

San Juan: Olympic discus thrower Traves Smikle has become the latest Jamaican athlete to confirm he is being investigated in a doping scandal. Smikle said in a statement late Thursday that his urine sample at the Jamaica trials last month revealed an adverse analytical finding. He said he did not knowingly or willfully take any banned substance and he has requested an analysis of the B sample.

Makhloufi withdraws

Paris: Olympic 1,500m winner Taoufik Makhloufi of Algeria pulled out of next month’s world championships in Moscow due to a viral infection. The 25-year-old has not trained for the past month, reports Xinhua. Makhloufi became the latest big name to miss the worlds following the withdrawal of Kenya’s world and Olympic 800m champion David Rudisha and Jamaican world 100m champion Yohan Blake due to injuries.


Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved