Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,31 Aug 2014

Cricket

BCCI looks to trim next year’s NZ tour
HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times
Mumbai, July 25, 2013
First Published: 00:21 IST(25/7/2013)
Last Updated: 00:24 IST(25/7/2013)

While negotiations are still on to curtail India’s tour of South Africa starting at the year end, the New Zealand tour next year is almost certain to get trimmed.

As the dates of tour that originally comprised three Tests, five ODIs and two T20Is are clashing with the Asia Cup scheduled in Bangladesh next February, the two cricket boards have almost reached a decision to cut short the tour.

The BCCI has expressed its reluctance to follow the itinerary as per the ICC’s Future Tours Programme (FTP) in the past. New Zealand Cricket CEO David White revealed there is every indication in this regard. “But what the discussions are about is making up the difference at a future period of time,” he told New Zealand media.

BCCI interim chief Jagmohan Dalmiya was reluctant to speak on the issue but confirmed it might come up for discussion in the future. “We will discuss the issue in the next working committee meeting apart from the one scheduled on July 28,” he told HT.

Despite Dalmiya’s reluctance to share the developments, it was learnt that a compromise has already been reached between the two boards that only two Tests and as many ODIs and T20Is will be played.

The tour will begin in the last week of January after the South Africa series. With the decision on shortening the tour almost reached, the only thing that is being negotiated between the two boards is India returning to New Zealand to play the remaining Tests and ODIs.


Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved