Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,29 Aug 2014

Cricket

Stay away from my funeral, Rice tells Cricket South Africa
PTI
Johannesburg, February 08, 2013
First Published: 23:54 IST(8/2/2013)
Last Updated: 01:18 IST(9/2/2013)

Pained by CSA's refusal to honour two deceased players with a minute's silence, former players have launched a scathing attack on the national cricket board and Clive Rice even asked Cricket South Africa to stay away from his funeral in future.

CSA refused to observe a minute's silence in the memory of Peter van der Merwe and Neil Adcock, who passed away last month and were part of the segregated cricket structures in apartheid-era, before the game against Pakistan at the Wanderers in Johannesburg last weekend.

The claims that the players were refused honour since they played in apartheid-era caused a huge furore.

Van der Merwe was the first South African captain to win a series in England in 1965, while Adcock was the first fast bowler to take 100 Test wickets for South Africa.

Rice played in that era for South Africa, but also led the team from his country onto the field in India after country returned to international fold in 1991.

“CSA is sensitive about the past, but at the same time they have a racist approach. This is part of history and you cannot just erase it,” Rice told the Afrikaans daily Beeld.

Proteas team manager Mohammad Moosajee said policy at CSA was for players to wear black armbands on the field if someone close to the players or someone involved with CSA after re-admission had died.

Graeme Pollock described the CSA decision as ridiculous and heartbreaking.


Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved