As one of Britain’s biggest sporting events – Wimbledon – begins on Monday, the Scotland Yard has tightened security and seized a drone flying over the All England Lawn Tennis Club as
said the number of Britons killed in the Tunisia attack could reach 23.
So far, 15 holidaying Britons are reported killed in the terror attack that prompted Prime Minister David Cameron to chair an emergency security meeting on Saturday and announce higher security levels across Britain.
Over 1,000 Britons were brought back from Tunisia after the attack as tributes were paid to the victims. Identification of victims was continuing, and reports said the British toll among the 38 dead was likely to reach 23.
Scotland Yard said “a range of policing tactics” will be used to ensure security at Wimbledon, which attracts high-profile individuals and players from around the world, including members of the royal family.
Chief superintendent Stuart Macleod said: “The Wimbledon Tennis Championships are a regular feature in our calendar and one of the great British sporting events which we are ready to police”.
“This year’s event will be policed to a level proportionate with the current threat level…The Championships draw not just a large proportion of Londoners to SW19, but people from all over the country and the world travel to watch the event as well”.
On Saturday, the police seized a drone after they were alerted to a man flying a drone over the All England Lawn Tennis Club from a nearby golf course.