Argentina to recall Nalbandian, Del Potro | sports | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Argentina to recall Nalbandian, Del Potro

sports Updated: Mar 09, 2009 11:18 IST

Reuters
Highlight Story

Argentina's top two players Juan Martin del Potro and David Nalbandian will be recalled for the Davis Cup quarter-finals after missing this weekend's win over the Netherlands, team captain Modesto Vazquez said.

"Del Potro and Nalbandian said that they would be present if we qualified for the quarter-finals and obviously they are confirmed because they are the two most important players we have," said Vazquez.

"In the next few weeks, we will decide who will complete the team."

Nalbandian pulled out of the tie with a viral infection while Del Potro asked not to be picked, declining a second request to play after Nalbandian had withdrawn.

Del Potro's absence came amid speculation the pair had fallen out during last year's 3-1 final defeat to Spain and Vazquez told a news conference he would to try to set up a meeting between them to clear the air.

Juan Ignacio Chela, who played against the Netherlands, agreed that a meeting was needed.

"I wasn't in the team last year but obviously something broke down and it has to be fixed," he said.

Argentina, beaten finalists twice in the last three years, took an unassailable 3-0 lead over the Netherlands on Saturday and won Sunday's reverse singles to complete a 5-0 win. They visit the Czech Republic for their quarter-final.

<