Under orders from England boss Fabio Capello to stay in tip-top shape if he wants to feature at the World Cup, David Beckham may yet return to the English Premiership with Chelsea or Spurs, the Mail on Sunday reported.
After spending an impressive second half of last season with AC Milan, Beckham returned to US Major League Soccer outfit LA Galaxy in Thursday’s 3-1 victory over the New York Red Bulls, his first match since the end of the Serie A campaign.
The 34-year-old former England captain had been loaned by the Galaxy to Milan with the proviso that he return for the entire 2009 MLS season, but he got his stay in Europe extended before finally returning - to some boos from sections of the crowd.
And according to the Mail on Sunday, Chelsea and Tottenham are ready to bring him home, although Beckham said in midweek he was relishing an eventual return to Italy.
“Spurs and Chelsea target Beckham,” the paper headlined its web edition.
The Mail noted that new Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti was highly impressed with the veteran at San Siro during his five-month stint and the paper reported Beckham and his wife, Victoria, have been looking at London schools for their three sons.
Last week Beckham hinted a return might just be on the cards, having previously said otherwise.
“Never say never. I’d definitely consider it. When I left, my heart was in Manchester - I couldn’t see myself playing against United. Now I wouldn’t rule it out.”