Bin Hammam appeal next week | sports | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 28, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Bin Hammam appeal next week

Mohamed Bin Hammam, handed a life ban by FIFA on bribery charges, will have his appeal against that decision heard next week, FIFA confirmed on Thursday.

sports Updated: Sep 09, 2011 01:21 IST

Mohamed Bin Hammam, handed a life ban by FIFA on bribery charges, will have his appeal against that decision heard next week, FIFA confirmed on Thursday.

The 62-year-old Qatari, a former member of FIFA's executive committee, was booted out in July after being found guilty of corruption and his case will be heard by FIFA's appeals committee on Sept. 15.

The hearing, at FIFA's headquarters in Zurich is expected to be completed on the day.

Bin Hammam was banned after the Ethics Committee ruled he was responsible for cash gifts totalling around 1.0 million US dollars for officials from associations belonging to the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) at a meeting in Trinidad on May 10. He has doggedly claimed he is innocent of all charges and if his appeal fails he has indicated he will take his case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne.

Bin Hammam had earlier been critical of FIFA and Ethics Committee chairman Petrus Damaseb, insisting that FIFA would never have taken action against him if he were European.

He also said he is secure enough financially to pursue his legal defence for years if necessary to restore his reputation, and will emerge unscathed.

Turkey assures safety to Israeli club

Ankara: Turkey's sports minister on Thursday assured Israeli football club Maccabi Tel Aviv of its safety ahead of next Thursday's Europa League game against Turkish club Besiktas in Istanbul. Suat Kilic told a televised conference that the match will be played in the “highest level of (Turkish) hospitality.”

Tension abounds between the two nations over Israel's refusal to apologize for the death of eight Turks and a Turkish-American in a raid on a Gaza-bound aid ship last year.

Del Bosque to stay with spain till 2014

Madrid: Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has confirmed that he would continue in his position until the 2014 Football World Cup finals in Brazil.

The former Real Madrid coach led Spain to their first ever World Cup triumph in 2010 and he will now try to do the same again in the next edition.

"I had a meeting with Spanish Football Federation President, Angel Maria Villar. I have a contract until the end of the European Championships and there is plenty of time to sign the agreement," he said.