Brazil sack Dunga, team faces backlash | sports | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 07, 2016-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Brazil sack Dunga, team faces backlash

sports Updated: Jul 06, 2010 00:04 IST

AFP
Highlight Story

Brazil coach Dunga has been sacked following the team’s World Cup quarter-final exit with charismatic Luiz Felipe Scolari, who won the title in 2002, immediately being tipped to take over.

“The cycle of work started in 2006 and which culminated with the elimination of Brazil in the World Cup in South Africa is finished,” said a statement from the Brazilian football confederation (CBF) on Sunday.

“The CBF announces the dismissal of the technical commission of the Brazilian team. The new commission will be announced at the end of July.”

Dunga, 46, who skippered Brazil to the 1994 World Cup, had been national team coach since 2006. He had already said that he was intending to step down after four years following the five-time champions 2-1 defeat to Holland in the quarterfinals in Port Elizabeth last Friday.

However, Dunga did not rule out staying in the job. “I am going to rest before meeting, in one or two weeks’ time, the president of the CBF, Ricardo Teixeira to talk about it (extending his stay in charge),” Dunga told a news conference before the CBF quickly shattered his optimism. Brazilian media immediately started speculating on the identity of Dunga’s successor whose job will be guiding the team on home soil at 2014 World Cup.

The favourite is Scolari, who won the World Cup in 2002, although he has ruled himself out saying he intends to honour his contract with Palmeiras which runs until 2012. “I have a contract with Palmeiras and it is here that I am going to work,” Scolari told El Dorado radio.

“It would be great to finish my career coaching a team at the World Cup to be staged in Brazil, but I cannot respond to any offer until after 2012.”