Portsmouth executive chairman Peter Storrie revealed on Friday that Chelsea have matched Liverpool's 17.5 million pounds bid for England defender Glen Johnson.
Johnson appeared to be on his way to Anfield after Liverpool's offer was accepted earlier this week, but Storrie confirmed the Fratton Park club have now agreed terms with Chelsea as well.
The 24-year-old has already had one spell at Chelsea before leaving due to lack of first team opportunities and must now decide if he wants to return to Stamford Bridge.
"The matter will come to a conclusion at the beginning of next week. I do not have a preference over the move, it is up to Glen," Storrie said.
"The deals are almost identical so it really is down to him and what club he prefers, which one is going to pay him more money.
"Glen wants to play regularly in the Champions League, he has got himself back in the England side so I understand that. Sometimes you have to be fair to players."
Storrie admits that Johnson needs to be playing Champions League football next season in order to cement his place in the England team ahead of next year's World Cup in South Africa.
"It's a big year for him with the World Cup coming up," Storrie said. "Playing Champions League football will make him an even better player than he is today."