Chelsea show Ancelotti the door | sports | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 10, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Chelsea show Ancelotti the door

sports Updated: May 24, 2011 01:12 IST

Agencies
Highlight Story

English premiership club Chelsea have sacked manager Carlo Ancelotti and are likely to appoint Turkey coach Guss Hiddink as his replacement.

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay conveyed the decision to the 51-year-old, who took over in 2009.

"Chelsea Football Club can confirm that Carlo Ancelotti parted company with the club. The owner and board would like to thank Carlo for his contribution and achievements since taking over as manager in July 2009, which included winning the Double for the first time in the club's history," the club said in a statement.

The London club, however, didn't do well this season and the 0-1 loss to Everton Sunday night prompted the board to take a quick decision. The loss saw Chelsea finish second in the league.

"This season's performances have fallen short of expectations and the club feels the time is right to make this change ahead of next season's preparations. Carlo will always be welcome at Stamford Bridge, where he will be given the reception and respect his position in our history deserves.http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/HTEditImages/Images/24_05_11_pg24b.jpg

"Chelsea's long-term football objectives and ambitions remain unchanged and we will now be concentrating all our efforts on identifying a new manager," the statement from the club added.

Ancelotti thanked the Chelsea fans at Goodison Park following his last match in charge as manager.

"I was happy for this reason. We have a very good relationship, they support us, they support me all the time. For this reason I am really happy," said Ancelotti in a statement.

Ancelotti's trusted assistant, Bruno Demichelis, is also expected to leave the club.

Maradona threatens to sue Grondona
Buenos Aires:
Diego Maradona has told an Argentine newspaper he will take legal action against Argentine football federation president Julio Grondona over perceived criticism of the World Cup-winner's drug problems.

Maradona reacted angrily to comments the 80-year-old Grondona made to local media this week that have been interpreted as a veiled reference to Maradona's much-publicized battle with drugs.

Maradona, who signed a deal to coach Dubai-based club Al Wasl last week, told Sunday's Clarin newspaper he has been clean for seven years and will sue Grondona. "This time I'm going to step on the accelerator and step on the head."