Former Italy striker Giuseppe Signori was among 28 people placed under investigation by Italian police over suspected match-fixing of second-division and non-league matches, authorities said on Wednesday.
Those under investigation included a number of well-known footballers who are still playing, a police statement said.
Police in towns and cities across Italy, including Rome, Turin, Naples, Bologna, Ancona, Cremona and Ferrara, issued detention orders for 16 people.
‘Beppe’ Signori, a member of the Italy squad that reached the final of the 1994 World Cup and a former hero of Serie A side Lazio, was placed under house arrest as were seven others. Another seven have been detained in custody.
One other person being sought by police was outside Italy.
Italian news agency ANSA said Signori had declined to comment on the case when reached by telephone.
Police said the six-month long investigation had produced evidence of an organised system among former and current footballers, sports betting operators and others to manipulate the results of a number of soccer matches.
They said bets worth tens of thousands of euros, and in some cases hundreds of thousands, had been placed on matches.
The investigation was triggered by a Serie B match in Cremona last year which aroused suspicions that led to a wider investigation.