Fabregas undergoes Barca medical | sports | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Fabregas undergoes Barca medical

sports Updated: Aug 15, 2011 16:34 IST
AFP
Highlight Story

Spanish international Cesc Fabregas on Monday arrived at the Nou Camp to begin his Barcelona medical ahead of finalising his move from English Premier League side Arsenal.



The 24-year-old has already undergone the first part of his medical at the Hospital de Barcelona and he is now set to complete his tests at the club's stadium, the Primera Liga outfit said.



If all goes to plan, the Arsenal captain is due to sign his contract with the European champions at 12.30pm local time (1030 GMT) and be presented to the media in Barcelona at 2pm (1200 GMT).



Arsenal announced on Sunday that they had finally agreed to a deal with Barcelona for the transfer of Fabregas to the Spanish and European champions.



Barcelona confirmed the deal, news of which was released at half-time in their Spanish Supercup clash against Real Madrid, which is expected to be worth between 36 and 40 million euros.



"Initial agreement between Arsenal and FC Barcelona for the transfer of Cesc with the signing of contracts and medical to take place on Monday," said a Barcelona club statement.



The deal, which brings to an end a transfer saga which began last year, will take Fabregas back to the club which he left as a 16-year-old in 2003.



Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said he was sorry to let the player go.



"We have been clear that we didn't want Cesc to leave and that remains the case," said Wenger on Sunday.



"However, we understand Cesc's desire to move to his home town club and have now accepted an offer from Barcelona. We thank Cesc for his contribution at Arsenal and wish him future success."



The midfielder spent eight years at Arsenal and made 303 appearances, scoring 57 goals in all competitions.



Named as Arsenal captain in November 2008, Fabregas also became a regular in the Spanish national team and has made 58 appearances to date.



Barcelona defenders Carles Puyol and Gerard Pique had already anticipated the move on Friday when they sent messages on their Twitter accounts welcoming the player before any official announcement.



"Welcome home, happy to have you here @cesc4official," Puyol tweeted, addressing his message to Cesc's Twitter account. "@cesc4official, we have got him," tweeted Pique.



Wenger left the player out of the side which drew 0-0 at Newcastle on Saturday.

<