Britain's Andy Murray admitted taking too many risks against Spaniard Rafael Nadal in his Wimbledon semi-final loss on Friday.
Murray's loss means Britain will have to wait at least another year to see a finalist from their country in 75 years. The hapless loser, however, said he had a "good tournament" and needed to "work harder" for making the final next year.
Murray's 7-5, 2-6, 2-6, 4-6 defeat at the hands of the relentless Nadal meant he exited the tournament as the losing semi-finalist for three years in a row.
The Scott admitted that between defence and attack "maybe got the balance a little bit wrong." But he had planned to take Nadal aggressively in the game.
"It was a big point. I was playing very high-risk tennis for most of the match. I went for it today and started to make a few mistakes after that," said Murray, who made a total of 39 unforced errors in the match to Nadal's seven.
"It is tough. But, you know, I am giving it my best shot each time. I am trying my hardest. That is all you can do. I am disappointed. But normally, like after four or five days. The last couple of years I have recovered relatively quickly from losing because I am just trying to get better."
"It has been a good tournament. I think it could have been better today. I wish I didn't make as many mistakes afterwards. But the tournament as a whole has been good. I would have liked to have finished better."
Murray conceded that it is extremely tough win grand slams in the era of Nadal and Roger Federer.
"I feel like I am playing better tennis than I was last year at this point. I don't know. It is difficult."
"It is a very tough era I think in tennis. Tennis right at the top of the game is exceptional."
Nadal said the match against Murray was his best of the tournament and he felt sad for his opponent.
"I feel sad for Andy. I think he deserves to be in the final. I wish him the best for the rest of the year. This match was tough for him," the 25 year-old Spaniard said.
Nadal faces Novak Djokovic in the final on Sunday.