Henman to speak on retirement plans | sports | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 27, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Henman to speak on retirement plans

British tennis star Tim Henman is to hold a press conference amid speculations that he will announce his retirement.

sports Updated: Aug 21, 2007 18:14 IST

British tennis star Tim Henman is to hold a press conference in New York on Thursday amid speculations that he will announce his retirement.

Press reports this week have said that the 32-year-old player former British number one will call it quits after Britain's Davis Cup clash with Croatia - a tie which starts on September 21.

There has been no official confirmation, but Henman has called Thursday's meeting with the press to clear up the matter.

He released a short statement this afternoon which read: "Because of the recent press speculation I will be holding a press conference in New York ahead of the US Open at 11 am (1500 GMT) on Thursday to discuss my plans for the remainder of 2007."

The four-times Wimbledon semifinalist denied that he had lost any hunger for the game.

Speaking on his official website, he discussed his recent poor performances which have seen him win just three tour matches this year amid fitness problems.

"I still really enjoy practising and training and also playing matches, it's just frustrating that my body has struggled to cope with what I've been asking it to do in the past couple of years," Henman said.

"Having a family has certainly changed the way I look at the world and also to a certain extent my priorities in life, but I would not go so far as to say that it has diminished my hunger for the game."

"I was also planning to play in New Haven this week but I had to pull out because I'm having a few problems with my back."

"I'm not fully fit, so my focus at the moment is to try to get my back sorted out and then to take it from there."

Henman, whose best season was in 2002 when he climbed to fourth in the world rankings, has slumped to 92nd this year and will likely drop out of the top 100.

He is due to play in the US Open in New York starting on Monday.