Injured Nadal pulls out of Big W
sports Updated: Jun 10, 2016 12:01 IST
LONDON: Rafael Nadal pulled out of Wimbledon on Thursday, citing the left wrist injury that forced him out of the French Open.
The two-time Wimbledon champion said on his Facebook page that he made the decision after consulting with his doctor and receiving his latest medical results. “I won’t be able to play at Wimbledon this year,” the fourth-ranked Spaniard said. “As you can all imagine, it’s a very tough decision, but the injury I suffered at Roland Garros needs time to heal .”
Nadal had already pulled out of next week’s Wimbledon grasscourt warm-up at Queen’s Club. Wimbledon, the third Grand Slam tournament of the year, starts on June 27.
Nadal’s spokesman, Benito Perez-Barbadillo, said the player’s wrist will be in a cast for another two weeks. After that, Nadal will begin anti-inflammatory treatments and physiotherapy.