Nigeria's government on Monday lifted a two-year ban it imposed last week on its national football team after a dismal World Cup showing, just ahead of a FIFA deadline to do so, a presidential source said.
"The government has reversed the decision," the source said. A formal announcement was expected later.
Nigeria, on last Wednesday, slapped a two-year ban from international competition on the squad after the traditional African powerhouse finished bottom of their group in South Africa with just one point from three matches.
President Goodluck Jonathan also ordered an audit into how the funds allocated for the team at the World Cup were used. Sports ministry spokesman Tony Ohaeri said on Monday that the decision had been taken "in the interest of football".