Perez to spend at least 200m on new 'Galacticos': Report
Former Real Madrid president Florentino Perez will spend at least 200 million euros on players if he is re-elected to the post, reports claimed in Madrid on Friday.sports Updated: May 15, 2009 19:48 IST
Former Real Madrid president Florentino Perez will spend at least 200 million euros on players if he is re-elected to the post, reports claimed in Madrid on Friday.
Perez led Real from 2000 to 2006, when it earned the nickname "Los Galacticos", winning the Primera Liga twice and European Champions League with such stars as Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo, Luis Figo and Beckham.
If he is re-elected following elections on June 14, Perez, a hugely successful businessman, would look to spend at least 200 million on new talent.
Some media outlets, including El Mundo and ABC newspapers, speculated that Perez would invest 250 million euros in the team.
On Tuesday El Pais newspaper said that 2008 World Footballer of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United had both signed agreements with Real regarding the Portuguese winger's transfer to the Spanish side at the end of this season.
It said Perez has already discussed an 80 million euro (109 million dollars) fee with Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes.
Perez, 62, on Thursday declined to discuss possible signings until the campaign for the June 14 elections officially begins.
But he has already hinted at the return of Zidane and former coach Jorge Valdano of Argentina, both mentioned by the Spanish press as possible advisors to Perez.
Zidane said he had been in touch with Perez, but "for the moment" had received no call to join him at Real.
"The most important thing is that he (Perez) returns," said the 36-year-old French star, who retired in 2006.
With three games remaining in the current campaign Real are second in the table, eight points behind arch-rivals, Spanish Cup winners and Champions League finalists Barcelona, who are virtually assured of the Liga title.