Re-vote must if corruption proved: Platini
Michel Platini thinks FIFA must hold another vote for the 2022 World Cup if corruption allegations against Qatar’s winning bid are proven. However, he still thinks the Gulf nation 'was the right choice for FIFA and for world football'.sports Updated: Jun 06, 2014 00:37 IST
Michel Platini thinks FIFA must hold another vote for the 2022 World Cup if corruption allegations against Qatar’s winning bid are proven.
The UEFA president told sports newspaper L’Equipe that he doesn’t regret his own vote for Qatar and still thinks the Gulf nation “was the right choice for FIFA and for world football.”
“But if instances of corruption are proved, there will need to be a new vote and sanctions,” Platini said.
A FIFA prosecutor plans by next week to wrap up his investigation of the 2010 votes for Qatar and 2018 World Cup host Russia.
On a personal note, Platini claimed that “somebody, something” is plotting to discredit his possible candidacy for the FIFA presidency.
Media reports this week cast doubts on Platini’s links to now disgraced Qatari official Mohamed bin Hammam. London’s Daily Telegraph alleged Platini had “a secret meeting” before the 2010 vote with Bin Hammam, suspected of vote-buying and other irregularities and whom FIFA subsequently expelled in 2012.
Oceania tightlipped over investigation
The Oceania Football Confederation will wait until after world governing body FIFA has completed its investigation into how Qatar won the 2022 World Cup rights before it makes any comment on whether their organisation has been caught up in the scandal.
“Stories concerning the Oceania Football Confederation (OFC) and the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 bidding process have appeared in the media this week,” the OFC said in a short statement.
“As the matter remains before the FIFA Ethics Committee, OFC does not wish to do anything that may undermine that process and is awaiting the outcome of the inquiry before making any further statement.”
World soccer has been thrown into turmoil in the last week after a British newspaper reported that it had evidence that around $5 million was paid to officials in return for votes for Qatar’s successful bid.