Tennis star Sania Mirza's family has reportedly called off her engagement to Mohammad Sohrab Mirza due to 'incompatibility'. Sania got engaged to long time friend Mohammad in Hyderabad in July 2009.
Six months after the engagement took place amid much fanfare, the couple decided to part ways as they felt incompatible.
She confirmed it saying, "We were friends for half a decade, but found ourselves incompatible during our engagement period. I wish Sohrab the best in life".
Sania's father Imran, who coaches and manages her career, said that the engagement had been called off. The two families took the decision, Imran said in a SMS sent to some media organisations. He, however, did not divulge the reason.
Sohrab, 23, is a commerce graduate from Hyderabad. Sohrab met Sania at St Mary's College, where she also studied. An ambitious Sohrab is in Britain, pursuing MBA degree course. Sohrab belongs to a wealthy business family with a popular bakery chain also dealing in real estate.
The engagement had taken place at a glittering function here July 10 last year. The 22-year-old tennis star had exchanged rings with Sohrab.
Sania's family had then said that the marriage would take place only after a couple of years and that she would focus on her tennis career now.
Sania, who is in Melbourne, has crashed out of Australian Open. She will go to Kuala Lumpur on Friday for Fed Cup Asia Oceania Group 2 competition.
As soon as the reports of her engagement came in, there were speculations over how long it will last, since she is a superstar and has a huge fan following. (With IANS inputs)