Crowd favourite Sania Mirza has decided to opt out of the WTA Sunfeast Open because of a wrist injury, robbing the tournament of much of its glamour.
"We regret to inform you that Sania Mirza has withdrawn from the Sunfeast Open because of her right wrist sprain," WTA Tour Supervisor Fabrice Choquet told a media meet in Kolkata on Monday evening.
WTA Senior Manager (Marketing and Sponsorship) Jill Hausler said that Sania had also withdrawn from the Korean Open, scheduled to begin in Seoul from September 24.
She, however, hoped that Sania would recover in time for the Tokyo Open which begins on October 1.
The numero uno Indian player was seeded third in the $175,000 event being played in the city.
The absence of world number 27 Sania, whose form has been on the upswing ever since she returned to the court after a knee surgery earlier this year, is bound to adversely affect spectator support to the tournament.