Wigan have rejected a ten-million-pound bid from Tottenham for Honduran midfielder Wilson Palacios but left the door open to a deal at a higher price.
Wigan chairman Dave Whelan said the bid had been rejected because the offer did not meet the club's valuation of the 24-year-old.
"It is entirely up to them (Tottenham)," Whelan said. "They can either come back or forget it. Ten million, for that lad, is not enough. We are definitely looking for more than that, that's for sure."
Palacios, who followed Wigan boss Steve Bruce from Birmingham to Lancashire in January of last year, signed an extended contract in August although the details were not revealed by the club at the time.
He has since enhanced his reputation with Wigan establishing themselves firmly in the top half of the table and put in another impressive performance in Wednesday night's 1-0 defeat at champions Manchester United.
Afterwards, Bruce appeared resigned to losing the player given the scale of the offer from Spurs.
"For a club of our size, we are talking telephone numbers and I don't even know what Spurs are prepared to go to," Bruce said.
"I haven't spoken to the boy yet, but I have been there myself and how can you deny somebody a life-changing opportunity? We will see what the money men come up with in the next 24-48 hours.
"Whatever happens, though, it will take top dollar to get him. He showed against United what he can do, but in two years time, he can be the best around."