Tottenham Hotspur's Premier League opener against Everton was postponed on Thursday in the aftermath of the riots in London, while rival clubs were left waiting to hear whether their matches would go ahead this weekend.
The violence that has gripped parts of Britain this week started last Saturday in the Tottenham area of London, not far from the club's White Hart Lane ground, with a protest over the police shooting of a suspect two days earlier.
"Following ongoing discussions with the necessary authoritie, it has been confirmed that this fixture will be postponed due to safety concerns relating to infrastructure of the High Road and access to the stadium caused by last Saturday's riots," Spurs said on their website.
Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore told Sky Sports News a decision on the remainder of the top-flight fixtures scheduled for the first weekend of the new season would be made at 1800 local time (1700 GMT).
He said he was optimistic the other nine matches, which include champions Manchester United travelling to West Bromwich Albion on Sunday, would go ahead.
While there was disappointment the Spurs match had suffered a similar fate to the England international friendly against Netherlands which had been scheduled to take place at Wembley on Wednesday, there was widespread backing of the decision.