Tevez back for Manchester United
Manchester United striker Carlos Tevez will return to action against Portsmouth in their late game on Monday, the club said on their website.sports Updated: Aug 22, 2008 20:19 IST
News in brief ahead of this weekend's Premier League matches: * Manchester United striker Carlos Tevez will return to action against Portsmouth in their late game on Monday, the club said on their website (www.manutd.com). The Argentina forward missed last weekend's 1-1 draw against Newcastle United following a family bereavement.
Midfielder Anderson is available for selection after returning from the Beijing Olympics while Ryan Giggs and Owen Hargreaves could also return having trained this week.
* Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas is set to return for Wednesday's Champions League qualifier against Twente Enschede at the Emirates Stadium. The 21-year-old missed the start of the season after picking up a hamstring injury in a pre-season friendly and is unlikely to face Fulham this weekend.
Manager Arsene Wenger told the club's website (www.arsenal.com): "While he is not likely to be involved on Saturday, he should be ready for the Champions League game on Wednesday night. We will have to assess him on Monday or Tuesday to see how big a gamble it will be to start him or not."
* Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia will miss their first home game of the season against Middlesbrough on Saturday with a hamstring injury, the club said on www.liverpoolfc.tv).
The centre-back is manager Rafa Benitez's only fitness worry, with Martin Skrtel and Philipp Degen now back in contention after injury.
* Newcastle United captain Michael Owen will be on the substitutes' bench for Saturday's game with Bolton Wanderers, having missed their season-opening draw with Manchester United last weekend with a calf strain.
"He's trained with us for the past two days and I'm going to put him on the bench on Saturday," Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan told a news conference.
* Manchester City have signed Hamburg SV and Belgium defender Vincent Kompany on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee. The 22-year-old, who has 23 international caps, played for Belgium in the early stages of their run to the semi-finals of the Beijing Olympics football tournament.
City said on their website (www.mcfc.co.uk) that they hoped to receive all the relevant clearance for Kompany to be able to feature in Sunday's home game with West Ham United.
* Promoted West Bromwich Albion have signed Real Mallorca midfielder Borja Valero for a club record 4.7 million pounds ($8.78 million). The 23-year-old has agreed a four-year contract, the club said on their website (www.wba.premiumtv.co.uk).