The International Tennis Federation (ITF) has dismissed Tennis Australia's (TA) appeal against Chennai as the venue for the India-Australia Davis Cup tie. The tie will take place as scheduled on May 8 at the SDAT Stadium, leaving Australia with no choice but to travel to the sub-continent they claim 'unsafe'.
A statement released by the ruling body on Friday stated they have upheld the decision of the Davis Cup Committee, which submitted its report after a security assessment of the venue on April 7. An unhappy TA had appealed against this decision taken by the ITF.
“The ITF Board of Directors has upheld the decision of the Davis Cup Committee regarding the tie between India and Australia. The tie will take place at the SDAT Tennis Stadium in Chennai on 8-10 May. The location and venue was previously approved by the Davis Cup Committee following a positive report from the ITF's security consultants,” said the ITF statement.
Since ITF remains firm on its stand, it seems unlikely that Australia will appeal again. However, if TA refuses to play in India, it risks a fine and possibly a yearlong expulsion from the competition.
Meanwhile, an official response from TA is expected by Saturday evening. ITF Communications Officer, Nick Imison told HT the decision is final. “The Board of Directors' decision is final. “Tennis Australia president, Geoff Pollard is making a comment at the Fed Cup tie in Mildura, Australia on Saturday. We will wait for him to state their position and will respond accordingly,” said Imison from London.
The All India Tennis Association is sure Aussies will come to India. “I don't think they will appeal again. We wanted them to come and play the tie because there are no security concerns. We are happy ITF supported us and we are now hoping they will happily travel to India,” said executive director, Ranbir Chauhan.