United star Giggs sues tabloid | sports | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 18, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

United star Giggs sues tabloid

Manchester United soccer star Ryan Giggs has joined a growing list of celebrities suing Britain's News of the World tabloid for illegally intercepting their voicemail messages, his lawyers revealed.

sports Updated: Jun 17, 2011 00:10 IST

Manchester United soccer star Ryan Giggs has joined a growing list of celebrities suing Britain's News of the World tabloid for illegally intercepting their voicemail messages, his lawyers revealed on Thursday.

"Proceedings relating to phone hacking were issued on behalf of Ryan Giggs in the High Court against News Group Newspapers Ltd, the publishers of News of the World, and Glenn Mulcaire," Giggs's law firm Schillings said.

Mulcaire is a private detective convicted in 2007 along with the News of the World's then royal editor for voicemail hacking. The case was closed but was reopened this year after new evidence emerged.

Dozens of actors, politicians and sportspeople including Hollywood star Jude Law are now suing the newspaper, part of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp media empire, for allegedly trawling their phone messages for scandal to sell newspapers.

‘Pakistan can host World Cup qualifier’
BERNE: Pakistan have been cleared to play next month's 2014 World Cup qualifier at home in Lahore and there have been no formal requests from opponents Bangladesh to switch the game, FIFA said on Thursday.

The Asian zone preliminary round second-leg tie will be one of the first important international sporting events to be held in Pakistan since gunmen attacked the Sri Lankan cricket team bus in Lahore in 2009, killing seven people.

"We have been in contact with the Asian Football Confederation and neither organisation has so far received any communication or request related to this two-legged qualifying match, contrary to recent media reports," FIFA told Reuters in an email.

Wembley to stage CL final again
NYON: Wembley stadium will stage the 2013 Champions League final two years after hosting the showpiece match between Barcelona and Manchester United because of "exceptional circumstances", UEFA said on Thursday.