Flipkart will kill its website and go app-only from September

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • Updated: Jul 07, 2015 17:36 IST

The writing was on the wall , but it's now finally happening. According to a report , Flipkart will shut its website down in just under three months and will exist solely as a mobile app from September.

Flipkart's decision was communicated to employees by the company's chief product officer Punit Soni at a town hall meeting last week, says the Times of India.

Flipkart's move follows in the footsteps of Myntra, the fashion e-tailor that Flipkart acquired last year. Myntra shut down its website in May citing higher traffic from its app versus its desktop website.

Flipkart's reasons are similar. 70-75% of its traffic comes from its app, a Flipkart spokesperson told the Hindustan Times. “India is gradually transitioning from a mobile first to a mobile only country. At Flipkart, we have been following a mobile first approach. We are constantly experimenting with various aspects of our service to create the best shopping experience for our users on our app. Meanwhile, we continue to offer both desktop as well as mobile option for our customers," they said, without offering any specifics about the timeline for the service to go app-only.

Flipkart currently has 45 million registered users and sees over 10 million daily visits to its website.

also read

Twitter to kill off its video-sharing mobile app Vine
Show comments