Highlights: Apple launches 4-inch iPhone SE, smaller iPad Pro
Apple Inc is expected to launch a smaller, cheaper iPhone on Monday aimed at emerging markets and possibly China, the world’s biggest buyer of smartphones, as it looks to reverse a decline in worldwide sales of its most important product.tech Updated: Mar 21, 2016 23:54 IST
Apple Inc on Monday unveiled a smaller, cheaper iPhone aimed at new buyers, especially in emerging markets and possibly China, the world’s biggest buyer of smartphones, as the technology company looks to reverse a decline in worldwide sales of its most important product.
The new device, called the iPhone SE, has a 4-inch (10-cm) screen and starts at a price of $399. It represents Apple’s second bid for the crowded mid-tier market after an unsuccessful foray three years ago.
Live updates below:
- Apple CEO Tim Cook takes the stage.
- “Recently we passed a major milestone that no one could have imagined. There are now 1 billion Apple devices in use around the world.” announces Cook.
- Cook decides to grab the bull by the horns,“Our products are such an important part of peoples’ daily lives and with that comes a significant responsibility. I’d like to address something that’s on the minds of everyone this morning.We built the iPhone for you, our customers, and we know it’s a deeply personal device.” he says regarding the FBI phone unlocking controversy. Cook continues, “We did not expect to be in this position, at odds with our government. But we believe strongly we have a responsbility to protect your data. This is an issue that impacts all of us and we will not shrink from this responsilbity.”
- Lisa Jackson, Apple’s vice president of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives is up on the stage.
- “Just last year we reached our goal of using 100% renewable power to power our operations in the US as well as our offices and stores in China.” says Jackson
- Apple announces robot named “Liam” that deconstructs old iPhones so parts can be repurposed. This robot will be used in Apple factories to reuse parts from old iPhones.
- Tim Cook returns to the stage and says, “Powering Apple on 100% renewable energy is an incredibly bold initiative.”
- Jeff Williams, Apple’s chief operating officer, is now on stage to talk about progress with ResearchKit.
- Williams talks about strides made by ResearchKit in the domains of Diabetes, Parkinsons disease, Autism and many others.
- Tim Cook returns to the stage. Apple Watch talk now, Cook says it is the top selling smartwatch in the world.
- Apple watch gets a price drop. Now starts at $299.
- Apple announces the launch of the iPhone SE with a 4-inch screen. Design resembles iPhone 5S.
- iPhone SE 16 GB priced at $299, 64GB pirced at $399.
- iPad Pro 9.7 inch released. Support’s Apple’s iPad keyboard cover and Apple Pencil.