New emojis and better Live Photos: iOS 9.1 is here
tech Updated: Dec 09, 2015 11:57 IST
Apple has released iOS 9.1, a new update for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch users. This is the first major update to iOS 9, which was launched in September.
One of the biggest new features in iOS 9.1 is support for over 150 new emojis, including a taco, a burrito, a turkey, a unicorn, a wedge of cheese, a champagne bottle, and -- stop reading if you’re not 18 -- a hand giving the middle finger.
If you have an iPhone 6S or a 6S Plus, there is also an update for Live Photos, which now sense when the phone is raised or lowered to avoid capturing unnecessary movement.
There are also several security and bug fixes and compatbility improvements fo upcoming Apple products like the upcoming Apple TV and the iPad Pro.
Here is the full list of improvements:
- Live Photos now intelligently senses when you raise or lower your iPhone, so that Live Photos will automatically not record these movements
- Over 150 new emoji characters with full support for Unicode 7.0 and 8.0 emojis
- Improved stability including CarPlay, Music, Photos, Safari, and Search
- Improved performance while in Multitasking UI
- Fixes an issue that could cause Calendar to become unresponsive in Month view
- Fixes an issue that prevented Game Center from launching for some users
- Resolves an issue that zoomed the content of some apps
- Resolves an issue that could cause an incorrect unread mail count for POP mail accounts
- Fixes an issue that prevented users from removing recent contacts from new mail or messages
- Fixes an issue that caused some messages to not appear in Mail search results
- Resolves an issue that left a gray bar in the body of an Audio Message
- Fixes an issue that caused activation errors on some carriers
- Fixes an issue that prevented some apps from updating from the App Store
- Patches Pangu iOS 9 Jailbreak
Apple also released minor updates to fix bugs in OS X El Capitan and (which is now at version 10.11.1) and the Apple Watch (now at watchOS version 2.0.1).