If you are a smartphone user then the possibility of your phone blasting might have crossed your minds. Deepak Gosain of Chandigarh, user of a OneOlus One, had the experience which left him deeply dissatisfied.
An extremely irate Gosain told HT that he had a near-death experience when his smartphone exploded and caught fire on Monday morning.
“I was saved because there was some distance between me and the furniture where I had place the phone for charging before going to sleep. I am very angry at OnePlus as I feel that they are not taking the issue seriosuly,” Gosain said.
Gosain claims that he had to take to Twitter to announce his displeasure and woes.
“Although no senior person has touched base with me after the incident, I received several calls from the company. I was disappointed as they seemed to be people who can’t take decisions,” Gosain explained, adding that he had asked for monetary compensation and a new phone from a different brand.
However, sources said that the burnt phone had been picked up by the company and investigation into the incident is on.
“Our top priority is the health and safety of our customers. We are confident in the quality of our products, which all undergo industry-leading safety tests. We are already in touch with this customer, but since this is an open case, we cannot disclose any further information,” the company said in response to a telephone query.
This is not the first time that OnePlus has been in such a soup. There are two cases which made news. In one of the cases reported in 2014, the company’s director, Carl Pei, had to send out a statement.
“We are very sorry to see one of our users had to experience this with their device as the safety of our customers is our first and foremost concern. We have already contacted MiYzu to learn more about his condition, as well as dispatched OnePlus staff to physically retrieve back the phone. This way, we can determine the circumstances surrounding this so that we may work to prevent this happening in the future,” Pei said that time.
“Our products undergo extremely rigorous testing, and this is the first time anything like this has happened. We take this issue very seriously. We will send MiyZu a new phone and also reimburse him for the damage to his jeans and phone case, as well as any medical costs associated with this accident,” he added.
In 2015, reportedly, another Indian named Ankit Dugar had to go through the same experience. The phone reportedly exploded while charging and caught on fire. In this case the company was not supportive at all and directed Dugar to a service centre for replacement.