Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sat,02 Aug 2014

Social Media

Advertisement
Twitter says blocks German neo-Nazi account in world first
AFP
Berlin, October 18, 2012
First Published: 14:19 IST(18/10/2012)
Last Updated: 12:24 IST(19/10/2012)
Social networking site Twitter (Shutterstock Image)

Twitter said Thursday that it had blocked an account in a country for the first time, after German police asked the micro-blogging site to restrict access by a neo-Nazi group.

"We announced the ability to withhold content back in Jan (January)," Twitter's chief lawyer Alex Macgillivray said in a message posted on the website.

"We're using it now for the first time re: a group deemed illegal in Germany."

In a separate tweet, Macgillivray posted a link to a message from the police in the northern German state of Lower Saxony asking Twitter to block the account of Besseres Hannover, a far-right outfit which was outlawed last month.

The account is still visible on Twitter with the handle @hannoverticker and calling itself "the national information portal from Hanover".

But no message since the date of the ban, September 25, is visible in Germany, and the group's website has also been blocked or deleted.

Prosecutors in Lower Saxony have launched a probe against around 20 members of Besseres Hannover on charges of inciting racial hatred and creating a criminal organisation.

The group is in particular suspected of sending a threatening video to the state's social affairs minister, Aygul Ozkan, who is of Turkish origin.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/Popup/2012/10/1810twitter1.jpg


comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved