Bouchard withdraws from US Open with head injury

  • AFP, New York
  • Updated: Sep 09, 2015 12:25 IST

Canada's Eugenie Bouchard withdrew from the US Open on Sunday after failing to recover from the head injury she suffered in a freak locker room fall, organisers said.

"Eugenie Bouchard is withdrawing from the women's singles competition at the 2015 US Open due to a concussion," said a statement.

The 21-year-old had been due to face Italy's Roberta Vinci later on Sunday for a spot in the quarter-finals.

Bouchard, the poster girl of the women's game, had already pulled out of the women's doubles and mixed doubles on Saturday.

She suffered the injury on Friday night when she slipped and fell in the women's locker room.

also read

Angelique Kerber beats Simona Halep, goes to 2-0 in Red Group at WTA Finals
Show comments