Rafael Nadal has confirmed he will sit out the upcoming Rotterdam Open after doctors told him he needed rest after his run to the Australian Open final.
“I’m very sorry I won’t be able to play but the Australian Open took a lot out of me,” Nadal said.
I am very sorry to announce I won't be able to play in Rotterdam next week. After last year's absence... https://t.co/Vj7VltxGv5— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) February 9, 2017
“And my doctors are insisting I take it easy and get sufficient rest before playing again so as to avoid any fresh bout of injuries,” said the Mallorcan.
At home after a month in Australia. Huge thanks to all of you, for your unbelievable support pic.twitter.com/zy7M0HDTHx— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) January 30, 2017
His old foe Roger Federer got the better of him in an epic Australian Open final winning 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 3-6 and 6-3.
Nadal should be back at Acapulco in the week beginning February 27.