Teacher arrested for flying drone that crashed in US Open stadium | tennis | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Teacher arrested for flying drone that crashed in US Open stadium

tennis Updated: Sep 09, 2015 10:53 IST
Highlight Story

Police inspect a drone after it crashed into the stands in Louis Armstrong Stadium during the women's singles second-round match between Flavia Pennetta of Italy and Monica Niculescu of Romania on Day 4 of the 2015 US Open in New York, on September 3, 2015. Daniel Verley, a teacher, was arrested on September 4 for flying the drone. (AFP Photo)

A New York City teacher was arrested early on Friday for allegedly crashing a drone into an empty section of seats in the Louis Armstrong Stadium at the US Open, police said.

Daniel Verley, 26, faces charges of reckless endangerment and operating a drone in a New York City public park outside of prescribed area.

A police department spokesman said Verley was a teacher at the Academy of Innovative Technology in Brooklyn. Calls for comment to the school and the Department of Education were not immediately returned on Friday. It wasn't immediately clear if Verley had an attorney who could comment on the charges on his behalf.

Read:Drone crashes into US Open stadium, causes security scare

The drone buzzed over the court in Armstrong Stadium on Thursday night before crashing into the seats. US Tennis Association spokesman Chris Widmaier said no one was injured.

The black device flew diagonally through the arena during the second-to-last game of a second-round match that 26th-seeded Flavia Pennetta of Italy won 6-1, 6-4 over Monica Niculescu of Romania.

Pennetta said she heard the drone fly by and was not sure what it was. Her initial reaction, she said afterward, was that it might have been a bomb. "A little bit scary, I have to say," Pennetta said.

"With everything going on in the world ... I thought, 'OK, it's over.' That's how things happen," she said.

She said neither the chair umpire nor tournament officials told her that it was, indeed, a drone. It broke into pieces upon landing, and the match was only briefly interrupted between points while police and fire department personnel went to look at it. "The chair umpire just wanted to wait for an OK from the police to be able to continue," Pennetta said, "even if, truthfully, I don't think even they knew what it was."

She said her coach and physical therapist were sitting in the opposite end of the stadium from where the drone crashed and they told her later they were afraid, too. "All of these (security measures), and then it comes in from above," Pennetta said.

The episode happened a little before 8.30pm, during the day's last match in Armstrong Stadium, which has a seating capacity of about 10,000. Pennetta and Niculescu were originally scheduled to play on the much smaller Court 17, but their match was moved because four earlier matches in Armstrong wrapped up early.

"If there had been spectators, it would have hit them and done a lot of damage," Pennetta said.


US Open: Federer, Murray advance, Wozniacki knocked out

US Open: Heat pushes retirements to Grand Slam record 12

US Open: Paes-Verdasco, Mirza-Hingis enter second round