Don’t make the peace sign and be careful on the elevator! 7 tips for those visiting London
It’s important you don’t stand on the left of an escalator and avoid the peace sign because it means something else here.travel Updated: Aug 07, 2017 08:26 IST
London is the capital and most populous city of England. There is a vibrant scene as far as art, entertainment, fashion and tourism are concerned and is the world’s largest financial center. And if you are headed for London, here are certain tips and tricks to help you make the most of your visit:
1. One of the golden rules of London is to never stand on the left of an escalator in the London Underground. This is because the left is meant to be for walking and the right is reserved for standing. Fail to follow this rule and you shall face dirty glares from fellow travelers.
2. If you plan to go to the Natural History Museum in London, make sure it isn’t on a school holiday. This is because you shall be stuck in at least an hour long queue, and your enthusiasm to see the dinosaurs shall fade every 10 minutes!
3. This one is common sense, but we do know how rare that is nowadays. Visiting many of the attractions in London, such as The Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, the Shard, and many more, can come at a discounted price if you check their official websites, as you tend to get a discount if you book tickets for them in advance. Not only that, many times you can end up getting free offers too!
4. Fish and chips are the national dish of England, although chicken tikka masala comes a close second. However, when wanting to try out this lip smacking combination, there is no need to go to posh, upscale places and shell out those extra pounds. Instead, go to the local chippy, a small place that serves fish and chips, sausages and some other items. Not only would you relish the taste, the price (at under 6 Pounds or Rs 500 approx) shall suit your pockets too and be worth it.
5. Oxford Street is one of the most renowned shopping streets in London, and hence best avoided when in a car. You can enjoy it the most as a pedestrian, but in a car you are sure to get frustrated with the numerous traffic lights and large number of pedestrians.
6. We understand that shopping is one of the reasons for your excitement of being in London, but if in Regent Street (second only to Oxford Street for shopping) you should exercise restraint. Going on a shopping spree here can severely affect your holiday budget as the prices of goods are very steep in order to make up for the high rent prices the shops have to shell out. You can purchase the same items at other places at much lesser prices.
7. Avoid making the peace sign. Not all gestures have a universal meaning and this sign backwards has the same meaning as showing your middle finger. So be careful when ordering two drinks at the pub!
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more