Promoting biking culture in India since its debut in 2012, the India Bike Week (IBW) is back with its third edition that promises to be a lot more than just an automobile event.
Over 10,000 bikers and adrenaline junkies are expected to congregate in Goa to celebrate the spirit and lifestyle of the Indian biking community.
"From having just one premium bike manufacturer as partners in our first edition, we now have multiple companies that are supporting the event," says Thanush Joseph, director of marketing, 70 EMG, the organisers of the event.
With a series of workshops, talks with biking legends, stunt championships and gigs by both Indian as well as international artistes, the event has something in store for everyone.
"While it is a biking event, we don't want it to be only for people who have something to do with bikes. We are promoting it as a fun place for festival-goers as well," explains Joseph.
Here's what you shouldn't miss:
* Hear the stories of over 15 legendary Indian and international motorcycle travellers, including Rashmi Thambe (editor, Global Women Who Ride), Hubert Kriegel (who extensively used a sidecar bike, a one-wheeled device attached to the side of a motorcycle), Sheonagh Ravensdale And Pat Thomson (Women's International Motorcycle Association) and Sushant Shetty (London to India solo on a Hayabusa), among others.
* The Women's Travelers Meet will be jointly conducted by established ladies biker groups, including Bikernis (India's largest women bikers' club).
* In the only competition of its kind in India, professional custom bike builders can create a customised mean machine from scratch.
UK-based band, Babyhead will perform at the event
* Mark Wilsmore from Ace Cafe London (a notable venue in motorcycle culture which originally operated from 1938 until 1969, and has now been redeveloped into an entertainment venue) will be in Goa, where he will be reminiscing about his experiences during his rocker days, judging competitions and interacting with his fans.
* Along with the headlining act by UK-based rockers BabyHead, the performance segment will includes the likes of DJ Akhtar, Nucleya, Ash Roy, Frame/Frame, OX7GEN, Blackstratblues and Whirling Kalapas, among others.
* Also head to The Howling Dog Drag strip, which will have a drag race for both cars and bikes.
* Ride For Charity will see celebrity riders and bike enthusiasts such as Gaurav Gill (rally champion), Yuvraj Singh (Indian cricketer), MDs of bike manufacturing companies and more ride together to a secret destination in Goa. Each rider will contribute Rs 20,000 towards the cause of providing equal opportunities for underprivileged kids.