Bill Cosby loses latest bid to escape sexual abuse lawsuit

  • Reuters, Los Angeles
  • Updated: Dec 15, 2015 15:10 IST

Looks like Bill Cosby will finally have to answer for everything he is accused of. The television actor lost his latest bid to fend off a lawsuit accusing him of sexually abusing a 15-year-old girl at the Playboy Mansion in Los Angeles in 1974, as the California Supreme Court on Wednesday denied the comedian's petition to review the case.

The accuser's attorney, Gloria Allred, said the decision cleared the way for litigation brought by Judy Huth, now in her 50s, to proceed, and that she intended to take Cosby's sworn deposition within the next 30 days.

"We are looking forward to Mr. Cosby answering questions under oath at his deposition," Allred said. "It's a very big victory."

There was no immediate response from Cosby or his lawyers, who have consistently denied allegations of sexual misconduct lodged against the 78-year-old performer.

Huth is one of more than 40 women who have come forward in the past year to say that they were raped or molested by Cosby after he plied them with drugs or alcohol in incidents dating back decades.

The complaint filed by Huth against Cosby is one of at least four pending civil lawsuits stemming from such accusations, but Allred said Huth's is the only one seeking damages for the alleged sexual misconduct itself.

The others are defamation suits whose principal causes of action allege the entertainer falsely branded his accusers as liars by denying that he ever sexually assaulted them.

In addition, Los Angeles police are conducting a criminal investigation into a complaint brought against Cosby, an LAPD spokesman confirmed on Wednesday. He declined to give details.

Cosby has never been charged.

Los Angeles County prosecutors declined last year to bring a criminal case against him over Huth's allegations, saying the matter dated back too far under California's statute of limitations.

Allred said the statute is more forgiving of civil complaints of childhood sexual abuse, allowing for a claim of repressed psychological injury that is discovered by the accuser in the last three years.

Cosby's attorneys had sought dismissal of Huth's lawsuit on procedural grounds, arguing among other things that she lacked required certification from a mental health professional to support her claims. They also said in court papers that Huth sued Cosby only after she failed to extort money from him to buy her silence.

A Los Angeles Superior Court judge ruled against Cosby, and a state appeals court refused to hear the case in May. On Wednesday, the state Supreme Court did likewise, a decision that Allred said leaves Cosby no further legal recourse for blocking the lawsuit.

She said she expects to take Cosby's deposition in Massachusetts, where the performer resides.

The decision comes weeks after a federal judge in Philadelphia unsealed excerpts of a deposition Cosby gave in a separate sexual assault case he settled with a former Temple University employee, Andrea Constand, for an undisclosed sum in 2006.

The excerpts included Cosby's admission under oath that he had obtained Quaaludes, the brand name for a sedative widely used as a recreational drug in the 1970s, with the intent of giving the pills to young women in order to have sex with them.

The New York Times has since posted further excerpts of the deposition. Cosby filed court papers on Tuesday, saying Constand should be sanctioned for breaching their confidentiality agreement by leaking the full deposition to the Times.


Bill Cosby 'offered pills, payments' to women with whom he had sex

also read

Bigg Boss 10: Reality shows are risky and strip you naked, says Gaurav Chopra
Show comments