Emmys announced, winners declared
Mad Men has been named Outstanding Drama Series for the second year running at this year's Emmy Awards. Here's a look at all the other winners.tv Updated: Sep 21, 2009 18:37 IST
Mad Men has been named 'Outstanding Drama Series' for the second year running at this year's Emmy Awards.
The hit US show, about the advertising industry in 1960s New York, collected one of the top prizes at the annual ceremony at Los Angeles’ Nokia Theatre. <B1>
The show’s creator Matthew Weiner said: "It is an amazing time to work in TV. And, I know that everything is changing, but I'm not afraid of it because I feel like all the different media just gives more choice and more entertainment. It's better for the viewers in the end and I'm glad to be a part of it."
30 Rock, a series about a fictional TV programme, took the 'Outstanding Comedy Series' award for the third time, while its star Alex Baldwin was named 'Outstanding Lead Actor In A Comedy Series'.
His co-star Tina Fey failed to win 'Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series' – which went to Toni Collette for ‘United States Of Tara’ – but was honoured for her impression of Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin, which she regularly performed on Saturday Night Live.
Glenn Close won 'Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series' for her role in Damages, while 'Outstanding Lead Actor In a Drama Series' went to Bryan Cranston for Breaking Bad.
Jon Cryer won 'Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series' for Two and a Half Men, which stars Charlie Sheen, and took to the stage to make a few jokes.
He quipped: "I used to think that awards were just shallow tokens of momentary popularity, but now I realise they are the only true measure of a person's worth as a human being."
Kristin Chenoweth was named 'Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for Pushing Daisies, although the show has now been cancelled.
When she collected her accolade, she joked: "I'm not employed now so I'd like to be on Mad Men. I also like The Office and 24."
The ceremony was hosted by How I Met Your Mother star Neil Patrick Harris. Emmy Awards 2009 main list of winners:
1. Outstanding Drama Series – ‘Mad Men’
2. Outstanding Comedy Series – ‘30 Rock’
3. Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series - Bryan Cranston for ‘Breaking Bad’
4. Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series - Glenn Close for ‘Damages’
5. Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series - Cherry Jones for ‘24’
6. Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series - Michael Emerson for ‘Lost’
7. Outstanding Lead Actor In A Comedy Series - Alec Baldwin For ‘30 Rock’
8. Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series - Toni Collette For ‘United States Of Tara’
9. Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series - Jon Cryer For ‘Two And A Half Men’
10. Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series - Kristin Chenoweth For ‘Pushing Daisies’
11. Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series - Cherry Jones for ‘24’
12. Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series - Michael Emerson for ‘Lost’
13. Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series - Kristin Chenoweth For ‘Pushing Daisies’