Sach Ka Saamna all set to return to TV
Sach Ka Samna, the controversial reality show that saw celebrities as well as common people shedding their inhibitions to reveal truth about their lives, is all set to make a comeback.tv Updated: Nov 26, 2009 19:46 IST
Sach Ka Samna
, the controversial reality show that saw celebrities as well as common people shedding their inhibitions to reveal truth about their lives, is all set to make a comeback on television.
The channel, which is facing tough competition from other entertainment channels, is mulling to launch the second season of the popular reality show, which helped it regain the top position in TRP ratings.
"We intend to do the show again. We have always maintained that we will do Sach Ka Samna again," Star India CEO Uday Shankar said. He, however, declined to say when it would be back on air.
"We don't have a calendar year yet, so it is difficult to say when, but we would like to do the show again," he said. The show, which ended its first season on September 18 with actor Rupa Ganguly, generated much controversy with politicians and parliamentarians demanding a ban on the programme because of its bold contents.
The channel was also sent a show cause notice by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry over its content. Based on the US reality programme Moment of Truth, the show saw contestants facing 21 questions about their life, the answers to which were verified by a polygraph test conducted by experts to rule out scope for lying.
Actor Rajiv Khandelwal of Kahi To Hoga and Aamir fame, hosted the show in the first season, which lasted 48 episodes. When asked whether Khandelwal will be hosting the show again, Shankar said, "It is difficult to say that. We had only one season contact. We will see."
The show saw celebrities like cricketer Vinod Kambli and Rupa Ganguly revealing startling truth about their personal and profession lives but had to come to an abrupt end in about three months.
Meanwhile, the channel launched another reality show based on marriage The Perfect Bride with actress Amrita Rao and Shekhar as host, which is nearing its end.
Shankar denied that Bigg Boss, which is currently being hosted by superstar Amitabh Bachchan on Colors TV, was offered to Star Plus. He, however, hinted at the possibility of bringing Bachchan back.
"There is nothing that we have yet negotiated with Mr Bachchan but the possibility always exists. He always had a relationship with Star and that has not gone away," he said. Bachchan made his first appearance on TV with Star Plus' reality/game show Kaun Banega Crorepati in 2000.
The show helped the superstar make a successful comeback to acting and till date remains one of the most watched game shows in the history of Indian television.
Bachchan hosted the show till 2006 but it ended abruptly after he fell ill. The show made another return in 2007 with Shah Rukh Khan as the host but the programme ended in April 2007.
Rumours were abuzz that Star Plus was planning to bring the show back with Abhishek Bachchan as host, but Shankar denied it saying the channel has no plans to revive KBC again or bring another quiz show.
"We have so far relation with Big B and not with the junior Bachchan. Also, we don't intend to do KBC again," he said. The channel is planning a series of new programmes to remain ahead in general entertainment race.
"Indian entertainment business has become so competitive that it is no longer a fight between two players but rather it's a fight of four to five players. All you need today is just one show to create unsettling effect. We have been doing a series of changes slowly," Shankar said.
They recently launched a new music reality show 'Music Ka Mahamuqabla' that brings musicians Himesh Reshammiya, Mika Singh, Mohit Chauhan, Shaan and Shankar Mahadevan on one platform.
Besides that, the channel is also planning a new reality show 'Mahayatra', a show that will explore relationship between family and religion.