We tell you what you shouldn’t miss on the small screen, from August 15 till the end of the Independence Day week On August 15 every year, TV channels and small screen viewers are in for a busy day. There’s ample to play as far as reality shows go and desh bhakti songs and dance performances also take over television today. Usual suspects like Manoj Kumar’s Purab aur Paschim (1970), filmmaker Mani Ratnam’s Roja (1992), filmmaker Subhash Ghai’s Karma (1986) and blockbuster films like Aamir Khan’s Lagaan (2001) and Shah Rukh Khan’s Chak De! India (2007) are also I-Day favourites.
Music and lifestyle
* Yeh mera India (Animal Planet): This month-long initiative celebrates India’s wildlife. There’s an anthem, Yeh Mera India, by singers Shaan, Mathangi Jagdish and Monali Thankur. It’s composed by Lesle Lewis who urges us to preserve and protect nature.
* Vande Mataram (9XM): Using acapella form of music, a band comprising Indian Americans, Penn Masala, has put together an instrumental rendition of musician AR Rahman’s Vande Mataram, along with a music video.
* Border/ LOC Kargil (UTV Movies)
* Karma (Zee Cinema)
* Kasam Hindustan Ki (Zee Cinema)
* Purab Aur Paschim (Set Max)
* Chak De! India (Set Max)
* Lagaan (Set Max)
* Tirangaa (Zee Cinema)
* Indian (Zee Cinema)
* Deewaar — Let’s Bring Our Heroes Home (Movies Ok)
* Roja (Set Max)
* Mother India/ Saat Hindustani/ Shaheed (Zee Classic)