Broad education reforms and rural women were the focus of finance minister Arun Jaitley’s budget speech on Wednesday. Here are five key measures announced by the government:
• Mahila Shakti Kendras to be set up at Rs 500 crore in 14 lakh anganwadi centres
• Broad-based skill training: Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra to be promoted in 600 plus districts. 100 more skill centres will be established
• Reforms will be undertaken in the University Grants Commission that governs universities in India
• Additional 5,000 post graduate medical seats per annum will be launched
• For youth, a system of measuring annual learning will be introduced and science will be given focus. Good quality institutions will have more autonomy. Colleges will be given autonomous status.