As it happened: Clinton, Trump clash in 2nd US presidential debate
Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton head into a crucial presidential debate Sunday with the Republican’s White House campaign in chaos over his lewd boasts about groping women.us presidential election Updated: Oct 10, 2016 08:51 IST
Donald Trump dismissed his predatory remarks about groping women as “locker room talk,” and took a swipe at Hillary Clinton’s husband Bill over past sexual misconduct in a fiery second US presidential debate on Sunday.
The Democrat Hillary Clinton, facing a deeply wounded candidate with one month to go before Election Day, pushed back by saying Trump’s lewd comments, caught on a hot mic, merely showed his true self.
With tens of millions of Americans tuning in for the televised showdown, the Republican nominee may have been expected to show contrition as he seeks to move beyond the crisis triggered by the tape’s release.
Instead Trump levelled a blunt attack at former President Clinton -- present in the audience -- asserting that he has a history of abusing women, and inviting several of his accusers to attend the debate.
Here are highlights of the second US presidential debate (Clinton’s quotes are signed ‘H’ and Trump’s ‘D’):
- 8.07am: Debate ends.
- 8.06am: “She doesn’t quit, she doesn’t give up. I respect that. I tell it like it is. She’s a fighter... she does fight hard and she doesn’t quit and I consider that to be a very good trait.” (D)
- 8.05am:Question: Would either of you name one positive thing that you respect in one another? Clinton says she respects his kids.
- 8.03am: “Trump is illegally dumping steel in the United States and Trump is buying it... We have got to remain energy independent, it gives us much more power and freedom.” (H)
- 8.01am: Trump says I will bring our energy companies back, they’ll be able to compete and pay off our national debt and budget deficits
- 8am: Trump says all for renewable energy, but need more than wind and solar.
- 7.59am: Trump says looking for Supreme Court judges “in the mold” of Scalia.
- 7.59am: Clinton says she would move to fill Supreme Court vacancy right away
- 7.58am: Clinton says she wants to appoint judges “who understand the way the world really works”.
- 7.54am: “Children listen to what is being said. There is a lot of fear - in fact teachers and parents are calling it the Trump effect.” (H)
- 7.53am: “Believe me, she has tremendous hate in her heart. When she said deplorables... she’s got tremendous hatred. And this country cannot take another four years of Barack Obama, and that’s what you’re getting for her.”
- 7.50am: Clinton apologises for her “basket of deplorables” remark. “My argument is not with his supporters, it’s with him, the inciting of violence at his rallies, the very brutal comments about, not just women, but all kinds of Americans.”
- 7.47am: “I will be a president for all our people”, says Trump. Remark in reference to Clinton’s statement that half of Trump supporters as “basket of deplorables”.
- 7.45am: Clinton says she would not advocate military force in Syria. She says she supports using special forces that are currently there.
- 7.43am: Trump says Clinton calls our people deplorable; I will be a president for all of our people.
- 7.42am: Trump says why can’t generals do something secretively and knock out leadership of Islamic State?
- 7.39am: “I don’t like Assad at all, but Assad is killing ISIS. Russia is killing ISIS and Iran is killing ISIS,” and the three have lined up together, says Trump.Republican US presidential nominee Donald Trump speaks as Democratic US presidential nominee Hillary Clinton listens during their presidential town hall debate at Washington University in St. Louis. (Reuters)
- 7.35am: “The situation in Syria is catastrophic, and every day that goes by, we see the results of the regime, Assad, the Iranians, the Russians, bombarding places, particularly Aleppo.. There is a determined effort by the Russian air force to really destroy Aleppo... Russia hasn’t paid any attention to Isis. They’re interested in keeping Assad in power... we need some leverage with the Russians... and we have to work more closely with our partners and allies on the ground... But I want to emphasize that what is at stake here is the ambitions of Russia.. Russia has decided that it’s all in in Syria, and they’ve also decided who they want to become president, and it’s not me.” (H)
- 7.33am: Trump attacks Clinton over US interventions in “Libya, Syria, and Iraq”, mentioning the Islamic State. “Now they’re in 32 different nations. Congratulations, great job,” he says to Clinton.
- 7.29am: Trump is asked whether he used his declaration of almost $1bn in personal losses in 1995 to not pay taxes. “Of course I do,” he says. “I absolutely used it, but so did Warren Buffet and so did George Soros.”
- 7.27am: Trump says he will release his tax returns following a government audit.
- 7.25am: Trump vows to put Clinton in jail if he wins the White House next month because she operated a private email server while US secretary of state.
- 7.23am: Clinton accuses Putin’s government of “trying to influence the outcome of the US election”. “I don’t know Putin,” says Trump, adding he hasn’t been working with the Russia government for his campaign.
- 7.22am: “Is it acceptable for politicians to have a public and a private face?” a voter asks. Clinton says she was talking about Abraham Lincoln.
- 7.20am: Moderators talk about leaked emails by Clinton. She answers by referring to Russian hacking; says Russians want Trump elected because he has praised Vladimir Putin and wants to do business in Moscow.
- 7.18am: “First of all, I will not let anyone into our country that I think poses a risk to us. But there are a lot of refugees, women and children, think of that picture we all saw, that four year old boy, with blood on his forehead...” (H)
- 7.15am: Trump is asked about his call for a Muslim ban. “Captain Khan is an American hero.. and if I were president at that time he would be alive today,” he says. He later adds “it’s called extreme vetting.”
- 7.13am: “Unfortunately there’s been a lot of divisive, dark things about Muslims... Some of them by Donald.” (H)
- 7.10am: “You’re right about Islamophobia, and that’s a shame,” Trump says. “Whether we like it or not, there is a problem... Muslims have to report it when they see hate going on. Muslims have to report the problems when they see them. If they don’t do that it’s a very difficult situation for our country. She (Clinton) won’t even use the word (radical Islamic terrorism).”
- 7.07am:Question for Trump: How do you cover preexisting conditions without requiring people to have health insurance. Trump: “You’re going to have plans that are so good, because we’re going to have so much competition.”
- 7.05am: Clinton is asked about Bill Clinton’s comments that Obamacare is the “craziest system.” Hillary Clinton says her husband clarified his comments; says there’s a system in place that needs to be built upon.
- 7am: “Obamacare is a disaster. You know it, we all known it...” “It’s only getting worse... will implode by itself.” (D)
- 6.54am: “I know you’re into big diversion tonight. Anything to avoid talking about your campaign and its explosion and how Republicans are leaving it...” (H)
- 6.50am: The moderators try to stop applause that began after Trump accused Bill Clinton of doing much worse than talking about sexual assault. Clinton quoted Michelle Obama to say “when they go low, we go high”, triggering more applause.
Trump owes President Obama an apology for his years-long racist conspiracy.— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) October 10, 2016
And by the way: "Sorry if you were offended" doesn't count.
- 6.46am: “It’s just words, folks. It’s just words. Those words I’ve been hearing them for many years.” (D)
Trump: "There’s never been anybody in the history of politics that has been so abusive to women" as Bill Clinton. Here we go.— Anthony Zurcher (@awzurcher) October 10, 2016
- 6.45am: “I said starting back in June that he was not fit to be president... What we all saw and heard on Friday was Donald talking about women. What he thinks about women, what he does to women... We’ve seen him insult women. We’ve seen him rate women on their appearance... spend nearly a week denigrating a former Ms Universe... so yes this is who Donald Trump is.” (H)
- 6.41am: Anderson Cooper asks Trump about sex boast tape. “This was locker-room talk... I am certainly not proud of it,” says Trump. “This is a world where you have Isis...” Cooper: “Are you saying that you’ve never assaulted women?” Trump: “I have great respect for women, nobody has more respect for women than I do.” Cooper: “Have you ever done those things?” Trump: “No I have not. I’m going to make our country safe.”
- 6.39am: “I agree with everything she said... “I began this campaign because I was tired of seeing such foolish things happen in this country... My whole concept was to make America great again. Where I watch... what’s happening with some horrible things, like Obamacare, where your health care is going up...” (D)
- 6.37am: “It is very important for us to make clear to our children that our country really is great because we’re good. We are really going to respect one another, lift each other up... celebrate our diversity... “I have a very positive and optimistic view about what we can do. That’s why the slogan of my campaign is ‘stronger together.’” (H)
- 6.35am: Debate begins with question to Clinton. Clinton and Trump do not shake hands.
Introductory speeches in #debate hall reference civic duty and democracy in action. A little highbrow for what seems to be in store.— Anthony Zurcher (@awzurcher) October 10, 2016
- 6.30am: Clinton tweets a Michelle Obama line: “When they go low, we go high.”
- 6.29am: The candidates will take questions from undecided voters and will be onstage with stools rather than traditional podiums. The remaining questions will be asked by moderators Martha Raddatz of ABC News and Anderson Cooper of CNN.
- 6.24am: Clinton’s campaign says Trump is continuing a “destructive race to the bottom” by appearing with a group of women who have accused former President Bill Clinton of rape and unwanted sexual advances.
- 6.22am: We have a US election tracker that shows the latest forecasts:
- 6.20am: Donald Trump held a surprise press conference with three women who have accused Bill Clinton of sexual assault over the years.