30 killed by blasts in Nigeria, Boko Haram blamed
Two explosions ripped through a market in northeast Nigeria’s Madagali town and a survivor said they killed at least 30 people.world Updated: Dec 09, 2016 22:43 IST
Two explosions ripped through a market in northeast Nigeria’s Madagali town and a survivor said they killed at least 30 people.
Since the military has dislodged the extremists from towns and villages this year, the insurgents have been attacking soft targets.
Survivor Ahmadu Gulak said the two explosions struck simultaneously at opposite ends of the market selling grains and vegetables. He said he counted at least 10 bodies and many wounded people being ferried to a nearby hospital by ambulance.
At least 30 people have been killed in the suicide blasts carried out by two female suicide bombers in the market,” military spokesman major Badare Akintoye told AFP.
“Several people have been injured in the attack,” said Akintoye by phone from a military base in the town of Mubi, 100 kilometres (60 miles) away.
A local government official and the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed the attack.
While there was no immediate claim of responsibility, the blasts bore all the hallmarks of Boko Haram, which regularly uses women and young girls to carry out suicide attacks in its seven-year insurgent campaign in the troubled region.
“The two bombers who (were) disguised as customers, detonated their suicide belts at the section of the market selling grains and second-hand clothing,” said Yusuf Muhammad, the chairman of Madagali local government.
“We still don’t have the exact number of those injured but they are many.”
Market trader Habu Ahmad said the blasts happened around 9:30 am (0830 GMT).
“It was dead bodies and wounded people in the midst of blood, spilt grains and abandoned personal effects,” he said.
Ibrahim Abdulkadir, NEMA spokesman for the northeast, said rescuers had been deployed to the scene.